While many family and friends will embrace the tradition of gathering together to enjoy a meal on Thanksgiving day, there will be those who don’t have that privilege.
Soup kitchens and organizations will be open for those in need of Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow and on Thanksgiving day.
Here is a list of places serving complementary Thanksgiving dinners:
Wednesday, November 21
- Broadway Christian Church sponsored by the Lexington Rescue Mission from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Thanksgiving day- Thursday, November 22
- Lexington Salvation Army beginning at noon
- Central Christian beginning at noon
- Malone’s and Sal’s Chophouse from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Consolidated Baptist Church from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m
- Catholic Action Center 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Lexington Avenue Baptist in Danville beginning at 10:30 a.m.
Places still needing volunteers:
- Sal’s Chophouse and Malone’s are still accepting volunteers. To register to volunteer, or to make reservations for those needing dinner, visit http://southlandchristian.org/thanksgiving/.
- The Catholic Action Center is still accepting volunteers. For more information call (859) 514-7210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consolidated Baptist Church is still accepting volunteers. For more information call (859) 299-8559.
- Lexington Avenue Baptist in Danville is still accepting volunteers. For more information call (859) 236-5437.
The University of Kentucky Center for Community Outreach Helping Hands organization held a Thanksgiving basket drive. The organization was able to donate 59 baskets to families in need. The baskets are donated and distributed to families via the East Seventh Street Center, Catholic Action Center, Chrysalis House, the William Wells Brown Community Center and the Catholic Action Council.
Each basket is filled with vegetables, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, dessert and a gift card so that families can purchase a turkey or other items they may need.
Items for the baskets were donated by students, student organizations and the Lexington fire department to name a few.